Children’s Museum of the Black Hills inspires all children and families to dream big dreams. Through creative play, exploration, and discovery the Museum sparks a culture of learning in families and the community.
Children’s Museum of the Black Hills and its partners believe that over the next generation, it is possible to enrich lives and expand the circle of opportunity for all children in the Black Hills area.
- The idea was initially developed within a group of friends, who are all parents, and decided that our community needed a children’s museum. As parents, we wanted to have a safe, enriching environment that we could take our children to play, discover, and learn. We tossed this idea around for years until we decided now was as good as time as any to give this adventure a try. With that in mind, the Children’s Museum of the Black Hills held its first community meeting on June 7, 2016.
- The idea quickly took off and gained community support. On June 20, 2016 the Board of Directors held their first meeting. On July 6, 2016 the Children’s Museum officially became recognized as an incorporation with the state of South Dakota. Shortly after that, the Children’s Museum of the Black Hills was granted 501(c)3 non-profit status by the Internal Revenue Service.
- Since then, the Board of Directors has been busy moving things along. We hired a consultant who specialized in museum planning and feasibility studies who will come to Rapid City in October 2016. We also hired a graphic designer who created the logo based on an idea submitted from a couple of our community volunteers. The designer is also working on putting together many of our other promotional materials
- We hosted our first fundraising event, a family scavenger hunt at Sioux Park on July 27, 2016.
- We successfully completed our first capital campaign, “The Founding 50” in September 2017. We raised $50,000 in just under 4 weeks and used the funds to hire Jill Randerson Exhibit Management to do a feasibility study and strategic planning.
- We are excited about the forward progress of the Children’s Museum of the Black Hills! If you would like to get involved, just click the Contact Us tab above and send us a message!
Board of Directors
Photos provided by Henry Roy Photography.